Saturday, September 20, 2014

AutoDesk AutoCAD 2015 Help: To Transfer Custom Settings Using the CUI Editor

One interesting thing -- you can access the online AutoCAD help even if you're not on your work computer.

I like the old, tiny little window AutoCAD used to have for customizing toolbars. And the customization was written out to a textfile. I like that, too. It was a big file, but you could read it. I could read it. The file they have now is written in XML, some language I don't speak. And now the file is ten times as big. And prone to error, in my experience.

So when we got around to installing AutoCAD 2015 and "migrating" my menu customizations into it, I wanted to be very careful. I didn't want any menu glitches. So I read the Help page on transferring settings.

It says... No. First this:

The CUI Editor is a rectangle on the screen, divided down the middle into two "panes", one on the left, and one on the right. At the top, each pane has a drop-down thing that lets you open a menu file. So this way you can copy custom menus and custom toolbars from one file to another. That's what I want to do.

Sometimes I get duplicate entries on my menu. I don't know why. I figured I did something wrong in the old AutoCAD, when I customized the menu. So this time I took my time with the help.

It says to open the file you want to import from, in the left pane. (It says in steps 2 and 3, that "in the left pane" I should open the file "from which you want to import customizations". The file I will import from goes in the left window.)

It says to open the file you want to export to, in the right pane. (It says in steps 4 and 5, that "in the right pane" I should open the file "to which you want to export customizations". The file I will export to goes in the right window.)

So I will grab things from the left window, and drag them to the right window.


Then it Step 7 it shows that you drag from the right window to the left window.

Then, just to mess with your head, below the image in Step 7 it says you can drag things "in either direction".

Is this really the best they have to offer? Confused help, and error-prone menus?

1 comment:

The Arthurian said...

And isn't it confusing to say that you "import from" one file and "export to" another?

Don't I want to export from the file that has what I need, and import into the file that needs it? Or, just "port" it from the one, to the other?

Help isn't helpful if it doesn't make sense.