Saturday, April 16, 2016

Why is the thing I need to know first, last on the list?


In Excel, trying to create a histogram. I press F1 for help, then type histogram in the search box. The Search results for histogram window comes up, showing one result. One hit.

It couldn't go directly to the one page it found? It insists that I actually click the one item in order to see it? WTF.

So I click the one item from the list of hits which contains only one item, and the Perform statistical and engineering analysis with the Analysis ToolPak page comes up. Okay, we're good now.

Well... reading ...

If you need to develop complex statistical or engineering analyses ...

Is that what I'm doing? I don't know. I just want help on histogram. More reading.

... you can save steps and time ...

Oh that would be good. Maybe we're going directly to histogram now.

... by using the Analysis ToolPak.

Oh. That. Where is that?

You provide the data and parameters for each analysis, and the tool uses the appropriate statistical or engineering macro functions to calculate and display the results in an output table. Some tools generate charts in addition to output tables.

The Analysis ToolPak includes the tools described below...

JFC.

To access these tools, click Data Analysis in the Analysis group on the Data tab.

Yeah, yeah, okay. Wait, what do I need?

Data Analysis

Oh...

I don't see it. Where is it?

in the Analysis group

Oh, okay...

No, I don't see it. The Analysis group, where is that?

To access these tools, click Data Analysis in the Analysis group on the Data tab.
On the Data tab.

Sheesh. The thing I need to find first is the Data tab. That's what I need first. Like this:



Not like this:


They want me to remember all three things, and use them in reverse order? You're kidding, right?

If you're telling me how to get to where I want to be, don't start with the destination.

Start at the beginning.

No comments: