Friday, March 27, 2015

And, yes, the new one is retarded


All I want to know is, what folder is the file in, the file I have open on the screen.

I know what it should be. I just want to be sure.

But I can't find the Properties item on the menu anywhere. On the stupid ribbon. You know. So finally I give up and customize the Quick Access Toolbar. I easily find Properties in the alphabetical list of All Commands and add it to the toolbar's list of buttons and click OK.

But then when I click the Properties button, half my spreadsheet disappears. The properties are now displayed on a big fat ribbon that takes up the full width of the spreadsheet window and about a third the height. It made me twitch with surprise. On the fat ribbon I find six empty boxes. A seventh box with my name in it, in case I need to know that. And one "Location" box showing the path to my file.

But the Location box isn't big enough to show the whole path.

Of course. That's how it is these days.

There is also a whole bunch of empty space on the fat ribbon, room enough for 20 more boxes. Oh, and I also found a "Document Properties" label that turned out to be a menu. When I clicked it, it offered me one option...

Don't you think, if you're gonna have a menu that has one option, you should just put the option there and forget about showing a menu? I mean, it's not really a menu if it only offers one choice.

... it offered me one option: Advanced Properties. So, I clicked it.

You know what popped up? An old, Windows XP-style form, with all the info and all the tabs and everything familiar to me from the time before we got these new computers.

Isn't that nice? The old one is the advanced one.

No comments: